Saturday, April 12, 2014

AUSTRALIAN FLAVOUR POETRY

‘AESTHETIC AUSTRALIA’
Gimme ‘Ghost Gums’ by a river of dreams
Gimme shining sun on this land supreme
Gimme this land, earth of red ochre and gold so pure
the minerals a plenty and gemstones bore.
Gimme clean rivers and skies blue clear
A cod fish from the river ‘Murray’ abundant in by-gone years
Gimme the brilliant stars against the southern sky night
and aurora australis - bright.
Gimme the life and let me dwell
in my land Australia I love so well.
TeAnne © 7 April. 1998

AUSTRALIA 
Cities of beauty, land of plenty, dance in memories,
the Nullarbor come with me as I journey beyond....... 

Once, I crossed your barrenness and grand red land 
the wide open spaces here in my heart, 
my mind and in my friends faces.
And ‘Ayres Rock’ standing proud and strong
with the distant howls of a dingo’s song.

Away from you, on alien soils, discontentment grew.
Would I ever see you again, 
tread your surfaces or swim your seas?
Alas, three months of differences similar,
but unfamiliar to me, I know where I belong, 
Australia! The land of my home.

TeAnne © Dec 26. 1997


A Drive In God’s Own Country 
Pristine beaches, spanning dimensions  contours velvety, sun upon sands.  Flat top mountains meet contrasting heavens,  native trees, oceans blue. Beyond, tillaged  valleys concaving in seas of winter green,  turning ochres interlude, mid-spring-times hues.  A painters ‘en plein-air’ dream, inspire golds,  grain greens, unclouded reds, amidst  windmills gyrating, readying  unique summer’s breeze ballads.  While grazing sheep, bullock, alongside horse  blend adjoining centuries history.  Primitive Hamlets dotting distant horizons,  aside natures, modern day abstract.  Grain  fields covered gleaned cylindered hay,  texturing thin layered paddocks, now lush barren.  Swollen rivers along with time, have snacked upon  accompanying stone fences. Former convicts create.  Leaning trees, driven westerly winds brazenly blown.  Outlying silver topped roofs of homesteads,  glimmer in customary suns scorching glow.  Long distance travel, over God’s own land.
“AKA...A Drive In God’s Own Country”  (Poem Devoid of .The, there, and, is, are, they, them, we, I, you, me, her, him, it, that, those.)
TeAnne © Nov.1. 1998 
AS CLEAR AS BLACK AND WHITE
Thinking back  nearly thirty years  She was a bigot  dead now I suppose
Vacuum behind  that dresser  change that  bed linen!  (un-slept in)
African males  (about ten in all)  Occupied rooms  for two minutes
Clean that toilet  Scrub that shower  (the recesses un- used)
she must have  told them to leave!
Oh how naive I was  with my eighteen year old  housemaid knees
Saw a gun at the  Mansfield  now torn down
Manhattan building  and San Francisco  in our Sydney streets  with flowers and LSD
When Vietnam  was hot and  American men on R&R  where the flavour  Go Go Whisky nights
Never touched  the drugs. but  The yanks and  the whisky  You betcha.
Damn nasty housekeeper  all as clear now  as black and white.
TeAnne © May 5. 1999
FIRST DAY 
Concrete expansion
Building myriad
Dauntingly vast
Human abundance
Clammy gathering
Claustrophobic.
Disciplined regulations
Chauvinist dialog
Fascist dictum
Registration numeral
Acquaintances new
All for creativity!
TeAnne © Feb 15. 1999 
IT’S JUST HEARSAY!
Way back, 'fore I was born, Walgett,  a thriving town, with over 20 pubs they tell.  Is hard to believe, no tell tale signs. It's  Just hearsay, I say!
‘Twas a gold rush era they tell  that caused many a men to wander  for fortune to make and at cards to squander.  For all I know! It's  Just hearsay, I say!
Now, the town is worse than dead  A visit here I tell, Forget it Fred.  Looking for history? T'aint archived. It's  Just hearsay, I say!
But the bushy with belly pressed to the bar,  bearded and bald and long in the tooth,  he may remember and think it truth.  Too many a beer and boiling sun, do tell  He thinks I lie when I say. It's  Just hearsay, I say!
TeAnne Oct 2. 1998 
# 1  This poem is an ABC style, minus : The, there, and, is, are, they, them, we, I you, me, her, him,  it, that, those.  Midwest Western Australian Landscape.
A kaleidoscope of colours, enriching  Beaches of perfect white sand.  City devoid of poisons pollute.  Dandelion yellowed pastures  Envelope tired, leaning aged  Fences, touched by Father Time.  Green tree tops rustle on an  Horizons distance, generously where  Iron rusted metals, gone long by  Jut from paddocks ne’er more tilled.  Kangaroos gather under *gum trees  Leaping, jumping, like child at play.  Mountain ranges, flat topped only by  Natures sculpturing hands.  Orange flowered bushes complement  Purple *Patterson’s Curse carpet uncontrolled.  Quarries dug by man for mineral sands  Regional resources, also crayfish, galore,  Survival. Exports to places like Russia  Tokyo, China, USA, just a few.  Unusual gifts of wealth polished,  Varying gemstones removed from  Western Australia’s beauty, not even a  Xylophone players music could portray.  Yesteryears history, ghosted by  Zoning laws of technology, not necessarily better.
* Patterson’s Curse ( Salvation Jane, a noxious weed to Live stock, introduced  from  England)  * Gum Trees ( Eucalyptus tree)
TeAnne © Nov.2.1998 
PARSLEY BETWEEN MY TEETH
    
Across from the 'Ecucina street Café'   sits the Travel and Foreign Exchange   with Stamp and Model Cars and the   City International Duty Free close by   Stands a Holiday Inn elite and erect. Standing beside parked motor cycles   a man on a mobile phone talks endlessly   Then I notice passers-by with mobiles    on their hips, in hands and up to moving lips.   Hearing American accents and I think for an instant   I am over 'there' again. But it's okay, I'm here   with parsley between my teeth.
The trans central 'Cat' sleeks on by   with Japanese scrawling on it's side   Hustle and bustle of a lunch hour city    Not all notice me. Though some do   as I sit here writing with parsley specks   between my teeth.
A glass carrying truck with two men   parked across from me stare, behind   dark glasses and I imagine they can see   this damn parsley between my teeth.
A wheel chair inhabitant patiently waits   by the curb for…. what? I don't know.   !!…    She got into a taxi.   Another passed me; he was pushed right on by.   Me afraid to smile with this parsley   between my teeth. 
Stray pigeons scavenge for single morsels dropped   by eaters at this street side Café, where I'm at.   I'm picking the parsley from between my teeth   and it just won't budge.   Pick, poke, and drag.   No use, so I light another cigarette   and contemplate this mundane human race.    
 © April 23 1999 By TeAnne

QUESTION TIME
                      YOU KNOW THE FAULT IS NOT CAUSED BY US SO WHY NOW, ALL THE FUSS? WHY MAKE MARBO SUCH AN ENORMOUS DEAL? IT WAS OUR ANCESTORS, THE LAND DID STEAL. WANT TO TELL ME WHAT WENT WRONG? WE’RE LOOSING OUR COUNTRY IT’S THE SAME OLD SONG. THERE ARE THE NATIVES, SCREAMING FOR EQUAL RIGHTS HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT ME, BECAUSE I’M WHITE? AND TOO MANY ASIANS TAKING OUR JOBS NOT ALL AUSSIES ARE LAZY, LAYABOUT SLOBS. I HAVE DREAMS FOR MY FAMILY TOO IT’S MADE HARD FOR ME TO PURSUE ALWAYS A DOOR CLOSED IN MY FACE THE GOVERNMENT WON’T HELP I’M CAUCASIAN, IT’S A DISGRACE. AN OVER INDULGENCE OF USELESS IMPORTS WHAT'S HAPPENING, I WANT TO KNOW, TO OUR EXPORTS? WHAT AUSTRALIA HAS IN ABUNDANCE IS LEFT TO RUIN AND ROT. A PIECE OF LAND FOR ME? THEY WILL NOT ALLOT. THE LUCKY COUNTRY? WELL I’LL BE DAMNED. YOU SURE FOOLED ME MR. BUREAUCRAT MAN.
TEANNE.......22/12/93©
* WINNER * OF THE 2nd CUP CAFE Jan 1998 Poetry Contest
In this poem, my intention is not to offend Australian or American Vets
but to make the world aware that you all still exist. My views of how it was may not be correct but they do come from my heart. Terri A Hateley AKA TeAnne.©

 
Salute to Vietnam Vets

 
Australians, Americans, All creeds, All colours
Men, at nineteen, boys with brave hearts
of a life not yet lived
Side by side from different shores
blood, sweat and feelings shared
Came together to fight for freedom
in an unforgiving, God forsaken war.
While at home,
ungrateful bystanders jeered.
Soldiers who witnessed,
 death, destruction, defeat
the suffering of an innocent child,
 an ally or mate
the defoliation of a field, or jungle,
 in the blink of an eye.
Returning as men with nightmares for memories
forever indelible
Older in mind, ruined in body
scarred beyond their years with untold horrors
and
Agent Orange devouring  their Daughters and Sons
 Still the innocent suffer.
Men who died, remembered only as a number
or by family.
Not by you, not by me
To give to these men, the time has come,
 the love and respect they earned
 as due compensation.
Not in parades nor celebration
but from your hearts and actions
They could be your sons,
fathers, husbands or lover
for them, the sentence is not over
HUG -A- VET
and your unawareness, a retraction.
TeAnne © Jan 6.1998
STARK DARKNESS! (Mirrabooka Mall)
From sunlight to eerie! 
Shops closed, though some 
were trading…In candle light. 
Ambling through corridor like 
tunnels of an innerscape Mall maze 
Clutching handbag to body!
People wary to and fro! 
Daylight stealing peeks inside, 
while would be shoppers 
dined on tepid food, under 
dome shaped skylight in 
the eatery. And waited.
Torch light flashings in 
darkness behind transparent 
steel roller shutters blocking 
thieves. Candles burn in 
hands of proprietors mingling 
speaks of blackout hour.
Securities strolling with pupil dilate. 
Eyes scanning. Hands on holsters. 
The Post Office selling only stamps 
Told me, “One hour on, one hour off.” 
Poof… 
I imagined the end of the earth!
TeAnne © 23 July.1999
The Beach
I live in the city of Perth now  a few kilometres from the beach.  A scene that’s over crowded, in  the summer seasons heat.
I miss the town where I lived  the white dunes of sand, like  snow, jutting against the sky,  where I lived in Geraldton.
I miss the pristine view, though  there were no trees for shade.  Alas, to walk along the shore,  or sit and create an imitate.
I miss the walks at sunrise  And the shells for my collection.  The tide ebbing from my feet  My thoughts are recollection.
TeAnne © July 14. 1999
THE INTERVIEW
       
I had met her before  But this was different  This was an interview  This was professionalism  Preparations of questions  And butterfly tickles.
She was held in high regard  The art worlds queen and  Me a mere student  My importance to appear  Not too naive  Younger than I, her  Experience vast beyond  My year’s, knowledge wise.
My admiration of her and her work  Was beyond number one fan.  Star struck extremes  Meeting her again was  Life’s magic dream
The interview would have went well  If only she had bothered to show.
An omen, I’m travelling the wrong road.
TeAnne © 22 March 1999 

CULTURE SHOCK
       
In Perth’s 'Culture Centre Art Gallery' coffee shop,  The pulse of an artist’s city.  Just watching them all walk by  All nationalities  All different lives  Rushing  Strolling  Food in mouths or hands  Disabled bodies, or minds  Purple haired or green or red  All seeking ‘that special something’  That could change their lives  Coming and going,  Backpacks, school books  Visual dairies  Brief – cases, nine to five  Or just sitting at this coffee shop  Chatting about life’s great explores  While ‘blues’ music pipes from speakers
Later in a food hall Caucasian male using chopsticks While the Asian wife used fork and spoon While I watch, eating Continental roll with Italian cappuccino.
TeAnne © 22 March 1999 
WALGETT.  (My Home Town) 

 
Then in Walgett town it’s where the  ‘Barwon’ and the ‘Namoi’ rivers meet-  It’s brown and dead in the outback with carcass spoil.  Flood then drought and hot north gale.
The windows all barred now and trite are the streets.  But the beer flows  amber and  the shearers, clip fleece - their backs well bent.
Roly-poly salt bush on the sunsets plains,  and drovers’ camp under the stars praying for rain.  while the billy boils.
Where mad blue dogs’ sun bake in fifty degree heat  with cancerous nose and ears, No one left who cares.  TeAnne © Apr 26. 1998 

No comments: